Salary: $65,000.00 /year
Title: Systems Administrator Manager
Responsible for the technical design, planning, implementation, and the highest level of performance tuning and recovery procedures for mission critical enterprise systems. Serves as a technical expert in the area of system administration for complex operating systems. Recommends the redesign and configuration of operating systems and system applications. Investigates and analyzes feasibility of system requirements and develops system specifications. Identifies methods, solutions, and provides project leadership and management in order to provide a high level of service to the customers of the department. Performs full supervision of Operations staff.
Location: Winchester Virginia
Duties and Responsibilities
Strategy & Planning
· Design and implementation of new systems projects and installations.
· Develop long term strategies to meet future requirements and expansions.
Acquisition & Deployment
· Conduct research on, and make recommendations for systems security policies and procedures
· Conduct research on, and make recommendations for, hardware products in support of procurement and development efforts.
· Manages the day-to-day operations of all devices by monitoring system performance, configuration, maintenance and repair. Ensures that records of system downtime and equipment inventory are properly maintained. Applies revisions to host system firmware and software. Works with vendors to assist support activities.
· Oversight of all systems related tickets to ensure user have appropriate support and response time. Manage and track ticketing system to ensure all taskings are being tracked in the ticketing system. Support users in a variety of tasking. Create help desk tickets when responding to in person support. Track and record all locations of support.
· Develops new system and application implementation plans, custom scripts and testing procedures to ensure operational reliability. Trains technical staff in how to use new software and hardware developed and/or acquired.
· Supervises Operations staff including hiring, training, evaluating and disciplining. May guide or provide work direction to technical and contract staff.
· Manages operational coverage for all hours of operation.
· Performs troubleshooting as required. As such, leads problem-solving efforts often involving outside vendors and other support personnel and/or organizations.
· Ensures high availability and acceptable levels of performance of mission critical host computer resources.
· Develops procedures to maintain security and protect systems from unauthorized use, acts of nature and user abuse.
· Develops procedures, programs and documentation for backup and restoration of host operating systems and host-based applications.
· Develops and coordinates project directions and schedules to maximize benefits and minimize impacts on the customer organizations.
· Develops tools, procedures, and training sessions for Operations, Client Support and Systems Development staff.
· Manages the data center and computer host systems including hardware, software and equipment such as air-conditioning system, UPS (uninterrupted power system) and fire protection system.
· Stays current with technological developments in systems administration technology and recommends ways for operations to take advantage of new technology.
· Positions in this classification may perform all or some of the responsibilities above and other related duties as assigned.
Formal Education & Certification
· Associate’s degree in Computer Science or related discipline. Relevant experience may substitute for the degree requirement on a year for year basis.
· Microsoft Certified Solutions Associate (MCSA) or Microsoft Certified Solutions Expert (MCSE). Relevant work experience may substitute for the certification requirement.
· Secret Level Clearance Required
Knowledge & Experience
· Knowledge of: Programming languages and operating systems; current equipment and technologies in use; Unix system administration, enterprise backup and recovery procedures, and system performance monitoring tools; effective project management techniques; principles and practices of effective management and supervision.
· Ability to: Plan, organize and document complex system design activities and to configure systems to be consistent with institutional policies/procedures; communicate technical/complex information both verbally and in writing; establish and maintain cooperation, understanding, trust and credibility; perform multiple tasks concurrently and respond to emergency situations effectively.
· Recommended (but not required) background with the following: Commvault, McAfee EPO, NetAPP, VMWare, Cisco, Avigilon ACC/ACM, Linux, Subnetting
· Strong customer service orientation.
· Proven analytical and problem-solving abilities.
· Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment.
· Good written, oral, and interpersonal communication skills.
· Ability to conduct research into PC and software issues and products as required.
· Ability to present ideas in business-friendly and user-friendly language.
· Highly self-motivated and directed.
· Keen attention to detail.
· Team-oriented and skilled in working within a collaborative environment.
· Sitting, standing, or walking for extended periods of time.
· 24-hour on call support
· Scheduled Night/Weekend work.
· Lifting and transporting of moderately heavy objects, such as computers and peripherals.
Type of Position
Full-time, salaried position.
Employee reports daily to a customer location in Winchester, Virginia
This position reports to the Director of Information Technology